Tuesday, June 22, 2010

World Cup 2010 predictions

So now that the group stages are coming to an end and we are just over half way through the entire competition, I thought I'd put up some predictions on who will reach the Round of 16. I meant to do this earlier, as I'll have a good idea now that the groups are almost done. Remember these are just my predictions of the top 2 teams in each group. Here are the groups as they stand: LINK

Group A: Mexico - top the group to go through., France - they'll need to win by a fair few goals against. S.Afr, but I reckon they'll come 2nd in group A.

Group B: Argentina, S.Korea - I don't rate Greece much so far, and I really don't see them getting anything against Argentina. S. Korea will beat Nigeria I'd say.

Group C: USA, England. England almost missing out with another draw to Slovenia. (I hope they don't make it though, Slovenia will be the team I hope make it.)

Group D: Germany - topping group D after beating Ghana, Serbia - in 2nd place, tough choice, as Ghana, or Australia could come in 2nd instead. I'd like Ghana to make it through with them.

Group E: Netherlands - easily topping the group (they've already qualified), Japan  - they are really disciplined and I think they will beat Denmark to come in 2nd place here.

Group F: Paraguay, Italy - dissapointing so far, Italy will make it in 2nd place in Group F and improve as the competition goes on.

Group G: Brazil (already through, they will top group), Portugal (will come 2nd despite losing to Brazil, thanks to positive goal difference. Ivory Coast will beat N.Korea in final game)

Group H: this is the hardest for me to predict. I reckon we can say Switzerland will beat Honduras (who looked shaky at times. Although a draw could easily happen in Swi vs Hon) So Switzerland winning would give them 6 points, Spain will beat Chile I think, giving them 6 points. Chile will also have 6 points, so it will all be down to Goal difference. If I have to pick, I'll say Spain go top, Switzerland come in 2nd. Chile are no pushovers though, and I still think Switzerland could be pretty unreliable, and give us a couple terrible performances.

Urgh, as I'm writing this, France go one goal down, so the odds of them going through are dramatically different. Probably more like Uruguay and Mexico will progress from group A. =( 

No comments: