Sunday, October 10, 2010

Now Playing - "All worlds begin in darkness, and all so end"

Played some bits and bobs of some games this week. Didn't make much progress apart from in Kingdom Hearts, and some Strange Journey. I'm considering starting up another game of Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL or at least continuing with my save. They've got a playthough of the game going on at one of the sites I go to, and I said I'd take part. But FFT is such a time-intensive game. I need to get some more non-rpgs hehe...

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3) [demo] - yeah, I played this! But only the demo... =( I really wanna pick the game up some time soon but I don't know when I'm going to have time to play it any time soon. So my thoughts on it (at least on what I played)? It feels like a God of War type action game, but with a definite Castlevania feel. It has the sub weapons system, so you can pick up Throwing Knives and whatnot. The lock on is automatic so when I threw Throwing Knives they automatically went towards the nearest enemy I believe. It might cause some problems if you don't attack the one you want I guess, but it might work out well. Its hard to tell from the demo.

The graphics, audio and presentation are top-notch for sure. The mini-cutscenes which showed some werewolve type enemies in the rain were amazing. The reflections and lighting for the water were very well done and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the game. The voice acting is of high quality as well. I heard some of Patrick Stewart's and Ewan McGregor's lines and was impressed with the stuff in the demo. 

I'm really interested to see if the story will deviate much from the rather simplistic Castlevania template. Kojima is someone that has become quite divisive for his storytelling. Myself, I'm really intrigued to see what his cinematic approach will bring to this series (which is one of my favourites.)

As far as I'm concerned, it looks a pretty cool game so far. Now I need to get the full game (and find some time to play it...)

I finished off Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PSP) this week. I thought there would be a bit more story after I finished the 3 character's stories but apparantely there isn't. The story seemed to be a bit unfinished, and on a rather bittersweet note. I won't give away anything, but I guess it does have quite a good story. It just ends on a positive, upbeat but slightly sad note.

Compared to the other games, it doesn't feel as strong in terms of charm and atmosphere. It suffers from being on the psp slightly in that it can't do as much as say a PS2 or PS3 game could do. I really liked in KH and KHII that you got Disney characters joining your party temporarily, as well as having Donald and Goofy available. That added dialogue, and lead to a more diverse, interesting game. I touched on this before, and same with the enemies in this game. They don't feel quite as imaginitive or unique as the other games, and some feel a bit too recycled. 

Still, I had a lot of fun with Terra's and Aqua's story. Aqua was definitely my favourite as I prefer playing as Mages. I did a lot of grinding with her and found it was more interesting-I got bored less when I was using spells to nuke enemies that took much longer to kill with the Melee characters. (Especially Ventus-he has fast, weak attacks and I really didn't enjoy playing through with him.)

What happened to the original trio you may ask? Well, some of the characters from the original games make an appearance or two in Birth by Sleep, which seems to be a prequel by about 5 or 10 years.

I made a little bit of progress in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)-I got past some stupid bit that had me stuck for a while. So I'm still slowly getting through the Bootes sector. I'm on the last mission of it now (actually I think I was at this bit this time last week) and I'm going to play some more.

I might start up another game to go along with SMT, but if I do that, I'll not make much or any progress in Strange Journey. Its apparantely quite a long, deep game. Oh, I picked up Lucifer's Call on Amazon the other day. Not sure when it will arrive (or when I'll be able to play much of it) but I'm glad I finally got it (and for a very reasonable price.)

No comments: